Time of Solo: 1:55 PM
Randall’s Roopak Taal (7 Beats) Solo will be presented as follows:
Akash is playing a lehara in Raag Basant.
Theka played at single time, one-and-a-half speed, double time, ending with tehai/tihai
Peshkar based on a tintaal peshkar from Ustad AmedjanThirakwa which I adapted for roopak taal. Theme and variations ending with tehai.
Kayeda in triplet composed by my Guruji Pt. Samir Chatterjee. Single time, double time, 4 variations, ending with tehai.
1) Bols: Dhaget-twaktetun—… Composed by my Guruji’s Guruji Pt. Shyamal Bose
2) Bols: ti—ketetwak ti—ketetwak…based on tukra from tintaal adapted for roopak featuring terekete phrases
3) Bols: dheredhereketetwak ta—- ka te ge ge din…based on tukra from tintaal adapted for roopak featuring dheredhere phrases
1) kat-tete ghen-tete…Composed by my Guruji’s Guruji Pt. Shyamal Bose
2) tetekategadigenedha—…This is based on a theme used by Pt. Shyamal Bose, in which the tehai is a taal other than the taal being played. In this variation I made, Jhaptaal is played three times in every tehai section, all ending on Sum / beat 1 in Roopak taal!
Before the final chakradar, I will play a chhand of Deepchandi (14 beats) taal.
3) The final Chakradar is a composition I call a “Jamrokradar” which I wrote to be playable in multiple taals with no, or minor, changes in spacing. It is based on a traditional theme used in other compositions “dheredhereketetwak twakete dha”
Thanks for listening to my solo, I hope you enjoyed!